Sunday, January 22, 2012

Double Pointed Needles = Tools of Satan

Since my last post, I've created another set of wrist warmers, these in a bright turquoise, and have braved the beast known as double pointed needles (DPNs) again. One particular project I've been dying to try requires knitting with five double pointed needles. Five. Needles. At. One Time. To give you an idea of how uncoordinated I am, I will admit that I've been attempting to master this trick on and off for the past six months.

I KNOW.

At some point, a normal person would decide that life is too short to bash her brains against a wall and would try something else. Not me. My father told me decades ago that I always did things the hard way, and he wasn't just whistlin' Dixie.

I've watched several videos on YouTube wherein normal people with ten fingers whip through knitting with five needles at one time like it's no big deal. I've learned that part of my problem is that the project calls for very few stitches starting out, so the needles aren't secured by the stitches themselves. Another problem may be the weight of my DPNs; my preference for needles is wood, but these are ultra-light and tend to slip, slide, and spin. So I've bought some heavier metal needles, and I've bought some heavier cotton yarn in a similar color to the thin silk I bought for the project.

Into the breach. Again.

Oi.

No comments: